Angel Olsen --- Half Way Home


I don't really know how to begin talking about Angel Olsen. Like most bands I post about, she has her own unique sound. Her psych-folk sound gives me goosebumps every time. Her second album, Half Way Home, is full of extraordinary vocals, elegant wordplay, and the finality of death.

If you do give her a listen, I am going to warn you, her vocals are not of this generation. This woman has a damn vocal range. At some points, she sings softly, barely pushing the words out. Then she builds her voice up into this shaking falsetto; it's almost like you're listening to an opera. She is spilling so much emotion in those moments. You can hear it in the shakes and power behind her voice. But I can say that seeing her live is much better. Her voice is meant to be heard in person. No speakers give her justice.

I first heard her song "Some things Cosmic" off of Strange Cacti. The quality is low-fi and that paired with her voice is haunting. Then you hear the emotion in her lyrics and voice and can't help but get the chills. I actually started listening to Half Way Home after I heard her song "Free" in a movie called The Fundamentals of Caring. I recognized her voice and began to listen to her more. Plus, that song is a good intro to her style of music. I recommend "Free," "Unfucktheworld," and "Drunk and with Dreams" to start off if you're a bit hesitant.


Comments

  1. GIIIIRRRRRRRRRLLLLLLLL this woman is my jammmm. She was my gateway into this female genre of just badassery. I haven't fully dove into all her work but she set a tone with "Shut up Kiss Me" and it's a song i can never skip.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts